Stonington is a vibrant, year round community that offers a wide array of things to do for every type of people! This web site gives you details and locations of all the things you can do in Stonington to amuse you, entertain you, awe you, fill your belly with Maine’s best seafood, and make your stay in Stonington a pleasurable one. Whether you live here or are just visiting there’s always something to do and something new to discover in Stonington!
Here are some suggestions:
* EAT! Enjoy a tasty meal of Stonington seafood or other delicacies. Whether you’re in the mood for fried food, down home cooking, healthy choices, or fine dining there’s a restaurant in town waiting to serve and delight you! See “Where to eat”
* SHOP! Stonington has a wide variety of retail stores for every need and taste. Whether you’re looking for handmade gifts, Stonington t-shirts, old books, toys, jewelery and fine clothing, antiques and furniture, nautical themed items, or other items there’s a store in town for you! See “Retail/Shopping” and “Services and Supplies”.
* GET ENTERTAINED! The Stonington Opera House has first run/current films, plays, musical performances, and other productions year round. Stonington is one of the major cultural centers on the coast of Maine. There are also many fun workshops available too!See “Performing Arts”.
* GO GALLERY HOPPING! You can walk to many of the towns galleries and artist or craftsman studios in and around downtown and also take short drives out of town for more galleries and studios. Artists of local and national fame! Paintings, sculpture, unique furniture and photographs.
* GET OUT ON THE WATER! Don’t just stand there looking at the ocean – get out and enjoy it! Old Quarry Ocean Adventures offers kayak and sailing lessons, rentals, and tours as well as trips to Isle au Haut on their large boat. Isle au Haut Boat Services offers many trips a day to Isle au Haut as well as special trips to see lighthouses, puffins, or to learn about lobstering. See “Getting out on the Ocean”.
* GO FOR A HIKE! Island Heritage Trust has three large conservation areas with trails and views of or access to the ocean. Stonington’s mossy forests and abundant bird life are a joy to behold! Stonington is also the place to find a couple of options for getting out to Isle au Haut (half of which is owned by Acadia National Park) and their vast network of trails and beaches. See sections on “Hiking” and “Getting out on the Water”.
* BUY SOME SEAFOOD! Stonington’s seafood is the best quality seafood Maine has to offer! Lobsters, clams, crab, mussels, scallops, shrimp, and oysters can be picked up art one of many seafood retailers in town. Pick some to eat at home or plan a picnic! See section on “Where to buy seafood”. We are Maine’s #1 commercial fishing port!
* CHECK OUT SOME SPECIAL EVENTS! There are special events planned throughout the year. From fireworks in February, to the Lobster Boat Races in July, the Stonington Seafood Festival in August, the Holiday Fair in December and many, many other events you never have to wait long for a fun event. Check out “2012 Calendar of Events”.
* SUPPORT LOCAL FARMERS! Stonington’s Farmers Market (Fridays 10-12) is the biggest farmers market in Maine! Support local farmers while having lunch and buying all sorts of home-grown and home-made foods! Or visit Red Barn Farm to meet their herd of goats and get some fresh goat cheese and eggs.
* HAVE A DRINK! All the Stonington restaurants offer beer and wine, while the Fishermen’s Friend also has a full service bar. A couple of restaurants offer outdoor seating on the harbor when the weather is good. The Seasons Shop sells fine wines and Burnt Cove Market sells wine, beer, and liquor.
* STAY THE NIGHT! There are accommodations of every type in Stonington – a motel, a harborside inn, and bed and breakfasts for every taste and price range. Check out “Where to Stay”.
You can also check out the Deer Isle Granite Museum in downtown Stonington, educate yourself about the marine environment and commercial fishing issues at Penobscot East Resource Center (PERC) on Atlantic Ave. in downtown, launch your own boat at the Colwell public boat access, or stroll down Main Street and check out the flowers, working waterfront, and sailboats in the harbor!
We are open year round! Stonington doesn’t close down after October. Check out the section on “Winter” to find out what’s still open and what’s going on in town. Stonington is a great place to go Christmas shopping, with many of the stores and galleries open into December!